Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Eating our Way Through Europe, brought to you by Project Runway: Trams

So I realize that these spring break posts are getting a little long and overwhelming (I apologize--I just want to be able to remember it all several decades down the road!), so I decided I'm also going to do some shorter, anecdotal posts about my travels. Shorter is better for you, the reader, and also me, the writer who is procrastinating doing an archaeology paper by writing this post...

So for anecdotal post number one...Our favorite way to travel during spring break: trams!
  • Tram # 51 in Brussels...on which every other stop suddenly became the end of the line, forcing us off into the rain at yet another random stop in the 'burbs of Brussels
  • Tram #22 in Prague, which was supposed to take us to the Petrin Tower (according to our incredibly friendly hostel owner)...but just seemed to take us farther and farther away. After getting off and looping back around closer to where we started, we hopped off the tram at the bottom of the snow-covered hillside next to the tower. Great views...but not so fun to climb. Should have brought my hiking boots. Ok, I exaggerate, there was a path. But it was still slippery.
  • The Vienna Ring Tram in...you guessed it, Vienna. Come in from the cold and take a loop of the prettiest sights in the city on the creakiest tram in history.
We didn't get to ride the trams in Berlin or Rome, but they had them there as well (and in Rome all the drivers were speed demons!). These Europeans just love their trams. And through this love I have discovered that trams are easily the slowest way to get anywhere. Sometimes slower than walking. And I don't walk that fast (just ask the Dans). But maybe that's just the impatient American in me. But even though the are slow, they are quaint and it felt somehow appropriate, to be riding trains around these historic European cities. But I still wasn't complaining when I returned to London and the super fast and efficient Tube!

No comments:

Post a Comment