Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cheers

Since my last post lacked any original material from me, I figure its about time I recap the past couple of days. So here goes, hopefully I don't forget anything!

Sunday was a calmer day. I walked to the London Centre and got all my books for my classes on loan from the library, which was amazing. A zero pound total for all my books this semester, although I'm sure it will more than even out with the whole groceries and providing my own food thing. A nice Mass and dinner at a pub with the whole program rounded out the evening, and then I headed back to the flat to try and get organized. There are just so many little things to do and errands to remember to run, especially at the beginning as I am adjusting to life across the pond. I am definitely going to be more independent and on top of things when I get home (Good news for all of you who have to deal with my constant freak outs! ha, ha).

Monday was the first day of classes for everyone else, but since I will normally be doing my internship that day, I had a nice, easy day. I practiced walking to my internship, which luckily for this directionally-challenged girl is a very easy 20 minute walk from my flat. And it is through a very safe neighborhood full of shops and stores (yes, that part was for you, Mom).

Monday's grocery trip was definitely an arm workout. Two six-packs of water (on sale!) and a jumbo box of laundry detergent was a little much for me to handle. I guess Michele and I should have been lifting weights that were more than five pounds during all our workouts last semester...
On Monday afternoon, Kaitlin and I went to an AMAZING exhibit at the National Gallery, which is right next to where we go to school. Which is pretty fabulous, in my opinion. The Notre Dame London Center is right off of Trafalgar Square, one of the most famous squares in London. It was named for the naval Battle of Trafalgar, which the British won (if you hadn't already guessed that). Here it is, although slightly zoomed out to capture all there is to see in the square.
But enough bragging about the Notre Dame London Centre, back to the exhibit. It's called "The Sacred Made Real" and is only at the National Gallery until the end of the week, so we had to take advantage ofquickly.
The exhibit focused on Spanish Catholic art from 1600-1700, a time when the artists were trying to make their work more realistic so that the people would feel closer to God. And let me tell you, these paintings and sculptures looked like they were about to come to life right in front of me. There were rooms focused on the saints, including a particularly life-like, gruesome sculpture of John the Baptist's head (post-beheading, of course) that made me feel a little bit squeamish. The rest of the rooms featured art that depicted different scenes from the Passion, with the last room being death. The last room was a little bit of a downer, but also fitting because the tone of the exhibit was so somber. It was just an incredibly moving experience; I'm so thrilled we got to see it before the exhibit ended.

My roommate Kelly and I cooked in our flat for the first time on Monday night. And naturally, we set of the smoke alarm. Oops. Blame it on the strange, thick British bacon we were cooking, not the cooks.

And Monday night finished off with a night at the Sir John Oldcastle pub up the street with the Dans, Kaitlin, Kelly, and Megan, for their Monday night drink specials. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I mean, you could blame it on the bacon, or you could blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-al-co-hol...

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete