Thursday, February 4, 2010

Food

I'm sure most of you reading this blog know this about me anyway, but I'm just going to come right out and say it. I am minorly obsessed with food. Scratch that, make it majorly obsessed. I am the type of person who is thinking about dinner while I am eating breakfast. And I'm writing this post as I eat my lunch in the library of the London Centre.
What can I say? I love and appreciate food. (I could also make the argument that my dear mother and father played too many games involving "pull the food away from Baby Maura right as it gets to her mouth and laugh at her distraught face" and now I'm just subconsciously worried that that will happen again...but I suppose that's an argument for another time...).
So now that my beloved South Dining Hall and chocolate froyo is several thousand miles and an ocean away, food has become even more of a priority in my life. Mostly because I am now responsible for buying and cooking it, instead of just putting it on my tray and eating it. I've documented some of my cooking adventures (all of them good, thank goodness!), but I've come into contact with a lot if interesting foods lately and thought that they deserved a blog post all their own.

Last Friday, the Dans, Kaitlin, Megan, Kelly, and I stopped by Borough Market on the Thames again. The food there is simply amazing! I tried some wonderful strawberry jam and delicious chocolate fudge, but that was nothing new for me. And Borough Market is definitely the place to have a food adventure. My food adventure consisted of buying some interesting cheese that tasted wonderful with crackers and wine before dinner. It was called something like "carefully," or at least that's what it sounded like when we asked the vendor what kind of cheese it was. But cheese wasn't enough of a food adventure for Kaitlin and the Dans, who opted to buy some ostrich to eat for dinner. Yes, ostrich.
I'm sure none of you will be surprised to hear that I decided to get some pasta from the grocery store with Kelly and Megan. But I was still excited to watch this ostrich adventure transpire. And surprisingly enough, after two attempts at cooking the ostrich steaks enough, they actually liked the taste!
The bigger surprise? I tried a teeny, tiny piece of Kaitlin's ostrich burger...and actually didn't think it was half bad! It tastes kind of like sausage...although nothing I would ever order or cook for myself, haha.

The next great food adventure was Saturday, when the gang went to IndianVeg on the recomendation of Miss Alice, the librarian at the London Centre. She told us it was the cheapest all-you-can-eat Indian food in the city, and since Dan Crupi maybe, might have, sort of mentioned a time or two that he loves Indian food, we figured we would give it a try. And because we also love cheap things. ;)
After getting a little bit lost and stumbling upon Filthy McNasty's, the incredibly classy pub my dad would like to go to when the fam comes to visit in April, we found IndianVeg. And then the magic happened.
Most people would describe me as a picky eater, but I absolutely LOVED the Indian food. Vegetarian Indian food, no less. We took the all-you-can-eat thing very seriously. I think we might have startled the workers there when we burst it and immediately began filling our plates. We had just gotten off a four-hour bus ride from Bath and were a little (ok, a lot) hungry. In all fairness, we did ask if we needed to pay before eating...
We aren't really sure what exactly we ate, but it was delicious. And filling, which rarely happens here in Londontown. And it was only 3.95 pounds, which was the best part for these college students on tight budgets.
Actually, I take that back. The best part was when the nice little Indian man who owned the restaurant started helping Dan Crupi, the Indian food lover, create all sorts of crazy food combos. And then he just started throwing things on plates and putting them on our table. Again, not quite sure what it was, but it was delicious! I think there was mint and mango sauce on one of the concoctions, which I surprisingly really enjoyed. Needless to say, we are already planning on heading back to IndianVeg this Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment